1. Selwitz RH, Ismail AI, Pitts NB (2007) Dental caries. Lancet 369: 51-59.
2. Singh ML, Papas AS (2009) Long-term clinical observation of dental caries in salivary hypofunction patients using a supersaturated calcium-phosphate remineralizing rinse. J Clin Dent 20: 87-92.
3. Dawes C (1989) Fluorides: mechanisms of action and recommendations for use. J Can Dent Assoc 55: 721-723.
4. Walsh T, Worthington HV, Glenny AM, Appelbe P, Marinho VC, et al. (2010) Fluoride toothpastes of different concentrations for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev: CD007868.
5. American Dental Association Council on Scientific Affairs (2006) Professionally applied topical fluoride: evidence-based clinical recommendations. J Am Dent Assoc 137: 1151-1159.
6. (2001) Recommendations for using fluoride to prevent and control dental caries in the United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. MMWR Recomm Rep 50: 1-42.
7. Ahovuo-Saloranta A, Hiiri A, Nordblad A, Mäkelä M, Worthington HV (2008) Pit and fissure sealants for preventing dental decay in the permanent teeth of children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev: CD001830.
8. Beauchamp J, Caufield PW, Crall JJ, Donly K, Feigal R, Gooch B (2008) Evidence-based clinical recommendations for the use of pit-and-fissure sealants: a report of the American Dental Association Council on Scientific Affairs. J Am Dent Assoc 139: 257-268.
9. Roberts AJ (1995) Role of models in assessing new agents for caries prevention--non-fluoride systems. Adv Dent Res 9: 304-311.
10. Ripa LW (1989) Clinical studies of high-potency fluoride dentifrices: a review. J Am Dent Assoc 118: 85-91.
11. Mullen J; European Association for Paediatric Dentistry (2005) History of water fluoridation. Br Dent J 199: 1-4.
12. Dental public health, Introduction to Community Dental Health: Slack.
13. Aas JA, Griffen AL, Dardis SR, Lee AM, Olsen I, et al. (2008) Bacteria of dental caries in primary and permanent teeth in children and young adults. J Clin Microbiol 46: 1407-1417.
14. Becker MR, Paster BJ, Leys EJ, Moeschberger ML, Kenyon SG, et al. (2002) Molecular analysis of bacterial species associated with childhood caries. J Clin Microbiol 40: 1001-1009.
15. Bowden GH (1984) Possibilities for modifying the caries attack by altering the oral microflora. J Can Dent Assoc 50: 169-172.
16. Dawes C, Dibdin GH (2001) Salivary concentrations of urea released from a chewing gum containing urea and how these affect the urea content of gelstabilized plaques and their pH after exposure to sucrose. Caries Res 35: 344-353.
17. Dibdin GH, Dawes C (1998) A mathematical model of the influence of salivary urea on the pH of fasted dental plaque and on the changes occurring during a cariogenic challenge. Caries Res 32: 70-74.
18. Kleinberg I (1967) Effect of urea concentration on human plaque pH levels in situ. Arch Oral Biol 12: 1475-1484.
19. Burne RA, Marquis RE (2000) Alkali production by oral bacteria and protection against dental caries. FEMS Microbiol Lett 193: 1-6.
20. Van Wuyckhuyse BC, Perinpanayagam HE, Bevacqua D, Raubertas RF, Billings RJ, et al. (1995) Association of free arginine and lysine concentrations in human parotid saliva with caries experience. J Dent Res 74: 686-690.
21. Margolis HC, Duckworth JH, Moreno EC (1988) Composition of pooled resting plaque fluid from caries-free and caries-susceptible individuals. J Dent Res 67: 1468-1475.
22. Stephan RM (1944) Intra-oral hydrogen-ion concentration associated with dental caries activity. J Dent Res 23: 257-266.
23. Turtola LO, Luoma H (1972) Plaque pH in caries-active and inactive subjects modified by sucrose and fluoride, with and without bicarbonate-phosphate. Scand J Dent Res 80: 334-343.
24. Wolinsky LE, Mania S, Nachnani S, Ling S (1966) The inhibiting effect of aqueous Azadirachta indica (Neem) extract upon bacterial properties influencing in vitro plaque formation. J Dent Res. 75(2):816-822.
25. Agarwal P, Nagesh L, Murlikrishnan (2010) Evaluation of the antimicrobial activity of various concentrations of Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum) extract against Streptococcus mutans: an in vitro study. Indian J Dent Res. 21(3):357-359.
26. Seneviratne CJ, Wong RW, Hägg U, Chen Y, Herath TD, et al. (2011) Prunus mume extract exhibits antimicrobial activity against pathogenic oral bacteria. Int J Paediatr Dent 21: 299-305.
27. Ferrazzano A, Taylor PW, Hamilton-Miller JM, Stapleton PD (2005) Antimicrobial properties of green tea catechins. Food Sci Technol Bull 2: 71-81.
28. Tagashira M, Bhattacharya, Uchiyama K, Yoshimura T, Shirota M (1997) Inhibition by hop bract polyphenols of cellular adherence and water-insoluble glucan synthesis of mutans streptococci. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 61: 332-335.
29. Ooshima T, Osaka Y, Sasaki H, Osawa K, Yasuda H, et al. (2000) Caries inhibitory activity of cacao bean husk extract in in-vitro and animal experiments. Arch Oral Biol 45: 639-645.
30. Osawa K, Miyazaki K, Shimura S, Okuda J, Matsumoto M, et al. (2001) Identification of cariostatic substances in the cacao bean husk: their antiglucosyltransferase and antibacterial activities. J Dent Res 80: 2000-2004.
31. Steinberg D, Feldman M, Ofek I, Weiss EI (2004) Effect of a high-molecularweight component of cranberry on constituents of dental biofilm. J Antimicrob Chemother 54: 86-89.
32. Koo H, Xiao J, Klein MI, Jeon JG (2010) Exopolysaccharides produced by Streptococcus mutans glucosyltransferases modulate the establishment of microcolonies within multispecies biofilms. J Bacteriol 192: 3024-3032.
33. Yamanaka A, Kimizuka R, Kato T, Okuda K (2004) Inhibitory effects of cranberry juice on attachment of oral streptococci and biofilm formation. Oral Microbiol Immunol 19: 150-154.
34. Koo H, Pearson SK, Scott-Anne K, Abranches J, Cury JA, et al. (2002) Effects of apigenin and tt-farnesol on glucosyltransferase activity, biofilm viability and caries development in rats. Oral Microbiol Immunol 17: 337-343.
35. Koo H, Schobel B, Scott-Anne K, Watson G, Bowen WH, et al. (2005) Apigenin and tt-farnesol with fluoride effects on S. mutans biofilms and dental caries. J Dent Res 84: 1016-1020.
36. Darout IA, Albandar JM, Skaug N, Ali RW (2002) Salivary microbiota levels in relation to periodontal status, experience of caries and miswak use in Sudanese adults. J Clin Periodontol 29: 411-420.
37. Almas K, Al-Zeid Z (2004) The immediate antimicrobial effect of a toothbrush and miswak on cariogenic bacteria: a clinical study. J Contemp Dent Pract 5: 105-114.
38. Ramakrishna Y, Goda H, Baliga MS, Munshi AK (2011) Decreasing cariogenic bacteria with a natural, alternative prevention therapy utilizing phytochemistry (plant extracts). J Clin Pediatr Dent 36: 55-63.
39. Ikeno K, Ikeno T, Miyazawa C (1991) Effects of propolis on dental caries in rats. Caries Res 25: 347-351.
40. Duailibe SA1, Gonçalves AG, Ahid FJ (2007) Effect of a propolis extract on Streptococcus mutans counts in vivo. J Appl Oral Sci 15: 420-423.
41. Koo H, Rosalen PL, Cury JA, Park YK, Ikegaki M, et al. (1999) Effect of Apis mellifera propolis from two Brazilian regions on caries development in desalivated rats. Caries Res 33: 393-400.
42. Li XC, Cai L, Wu CD (1997) Antimicrobial compounds from Ceanothus americanus against oral pathogens. Phytochemistry 46: 97-102.
43. Xie Q, Li J, Zhou X (2008) Anticaries effect of compounds extracted from Galla chinensis in a multispecies biofilm model. Oral Microbiol Immunol 23: 459-465.
44. Greenberg M, Dodds M, Tian M (2008) Naturally occurring phenolic antibacterial compounds show effectiveness against oral bacteria by a quantitative structureactivity relationship study. J Agric Food Chem 56: 11151-11156.
45. Loesche WJ, Grossman NS, Earnest R, Corpron R (1984) The effect of chewing xylitol gum on the plaque and saliva levels of Streptococcus mutans. J Am Dent Assoc 108: 587-592.
46. Svanberg M, Birkhed D (1991) Effect of dentifrices containing either xylitol and glycerol or sorbitol on mutans streptococci in saliva. Caries Res 25: 449-453.
47. Vadeboncoeur C, Trahan L, Mouton C, Mayrand D (1983) Effect of xylitol on the growth and glycolysis of acidogenic oral bacteria. J Dent Res 62: 882-884.
48. Arends J, Smits M, Ruben JL, Christoffersen J (1990) Combined effect of xylitol and fluoride on enamel demineralization in vitro. Caries Res 24: 256-257.
49. Isokangas P (1987) Xylitol chewing gum in caries prevention. A longitudinal study on Finnish school children. Proc Finn Dent Soc 83: 1-117.
50. Alanen P, Isokangas P, Gutmann K (2000) Xylitol candies in caries prevention: results of a field study in Estonian children. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 28: 218-224.
51. Honkala E, Honkala S, Shyama M, Al-Mutawa SA (2006) Field trial on caries prevention with xylitol candies among disabled school students. Caries Res 40: 508-513.
52. Oscarson P, Lif Holgerson P, Sjostrom I, Twetman S, Stecksen-Blicks C (2006) Influence of a low xylitol-dose on mutans streptococci colonisation and caries development in preschool children. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 7: 142-147.
53. Milgrom P, Ly KA, Tut OK, Mancl L, Roberts MC, et al. (2009) Xylitol pediatric topical oral syrup to prevent dental caries: a double-blind randomized clinical trial of efficacy. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 163: 601-607.
54. Sintes JL, Elias-Boneta A, Stewart B, Volpe AR, Lovett J (2002) Anticaries efficacy of a sodium monofluorophosphate dentifrice containing xylitol in a dicalcium phosphate dihydrate base. A 30-month caries clinical study in Costa Rica. Am J Dent 15: 215-219.
55. Sintes JL, Escalante C, Stewart B, McCool JJ, Garcia L, et al. (1995) Enhanced anticaries efficacy of a 0.243% sodium fluoride/10% xylitol/silica dentifrice: 3-year clinical results. Am J Dent 8: 231-235.
56. Tanboga I, Çaglar E, Kargul B (2003) Campaign of probiotic food consumption in Turkish children, oral perspectives ‘Probiotics for your child’. Int J Pediatr Dent. 13: 59-64.
57. Caglar E, Holcombh, Kargul B, Tanboga I (2005) Bacteriotherapy and probiotics’ role on oral health. Oral Dis 11: 131-137.
58. Comelli EM, Guggenheim B, Stingele F, Neeser JR (2002) Selection of dairy bacterial strains as probiotics for oral health. Eur J Oral Sci 110: 218-224.
59. Ahola AJ, Yli-Knuuttila H, Suomalainen T, Poussa T, Ahlström A, et al. (2002) Short-term consumption of probiotic-containing cheese and its effect on dental caries risk factors. Arch Oral Biol 47: 799-804.
60. Caglar E, Cildir SK, Ergeneli S, Sandalli N, Twetman S (2006) Salivary mutans streptococci and lactobacilli levels after ingestion of the probiotic bacterium Lactobacillus reuteri ATCC 55730 by straws or tablets. Acta Odontol Scand 64: 314-318.
61. Wolf BW, Garleb KA, Ataya DG, Casas IA (1995) Safety and tolerance of Lactobacillus reuteri in healthy adult male subjects. Microb Ecol Health Dis. 8: 41-50.
62. Caglar E, Kuscu OO, Cildir SK, Kuvvetli SS, Sandalli N (2008) A probiotic lozenge administered medical device and its effect on salivary mutans streptococci and lactobacilli. Int J Paediatr Dent 18: 35-39.
63. Allan I, Newman H, Wilson M (2001) Antibacterial activity of particulate bioglass against supra- and subgingival bacteria. Biomaterials 22: 1683-1687.
64. Marinho VC, Higgins JP, Sheiham A, Logan S (2003) Fluoride toothpastes for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 1: CD002278.
65. Allaudin SS, Fontana M (2006) Evaluation of Novamin as an adjunct to fluoride for caries lesion remineralization. Novamin Research Report.
66. KG Chhabra, Preetha J Shetty, Prasad KVV, Chaya S Mendon, Ramya Kalyanpur. (2011) The beyond measures: Non flouride preventive measures for dental caries. JIOH 3: 1-7.
67. Marsh PD (2010) Controlling the oral biofilm with antimicrobials. J Dent 38 Suppl 1: S11-15.
68. Oatmen RT. Preventive Dentistry Techniques in the Treatment of Dental Caries and Biofilm Control: A Review. Honors Projects. Undergraduate Research and Creative Practice.
69. Autio-Gold J (2008) The role of chlorhexidine in caries prevention. Oper Dent 33: 710-716.
70. Jenkins S, Addy M, Newcombe R (1991) Triclosan and sodium lauryl sulphate mouthwashes (I). Effects on salivary bacterial counts. J Clin Periodontol 18: 140-144.
71. Kulkarni VV, Damle SG (2003) Comparative evaluation of efficacy of sodium fluoride, chlorhexidine and triclosan mouth rinses in reducing the mutans streptococci count in saliva: an in vivo study. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 21: 98-104.
72. Shapiro S, Guggenheim B (1995) The action of thymol on oral bacteria. Oral Microbiol Immunol 10: 241-246.
73. Glass RL, Rothman KJ, Espinal F, Vélez H, Smith NJ (1973) The prevalence of human dental caries and water-borne trace metals. Arch Oral Biol 18: 1099-1104.
74. Reynolds EC (1998) Anticariogenic complexes of amorphous calcium phosphate stabilized by casein phosphopeptides: a review. Spec Care Dentist 18: 8-16.
75. Reynolds EC (1987) The prevention of sub-surface demineralization of bovine enamel and change in plaque composition by casein in an intra-oral model. J Dent Res 66: 1120-1127.
76. Reynolds E (2007) Calcium phosphopeptide complexes.
77. Azarpazhooh A, Limeback H (2008) Clinical efficacy of casein derivatives: a systematic review of the literature. J Am Dent Assoc 139: 915-924.
78. Morgan MV, Adams GG, Bailey DL, Tsao CE, Fischman SL, et al. (2008) The anticariogenic effect of sugar-free gum containing CPP-ACP nanocomplexes on approximal caries determined using digital bitewing radiography. Caries Res 42: 171-184.
79. Rao SK, Bhat GS, Aradhya S, Devi A, Bhat M (2009) Study of the efficacy of toothpaste containing casein phosphopeptide in the prevention of dental caries: a randomized controlled trial in 12- to 15-year-old high caries risk children in Bangalore, India. Caries Res 43: 430-435.
80. Andersson A, Skold-Larsson K, Hallgren A (2007) Effect of a dental cream containing amorphous cream phosphate complexes on white spot lesion regression assessed by laser fluorescence. Oral Health Prev Dent. 5: 229-233.
81. Bailey DL, Adams GG, Tsao CE, Hyslop A, Escobar K, et al. (2009) Regression of post-orthodontic lesions by a remineralizing cream. J Dent Res 88: 1148-1153.
82. Yengopal V, Mickenautsch S (2009) Caries preventive effect of casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate (CPP-ACP): a meta-analysis. Acta Odontol Scand 67: 321-332.
83. Iijima Y, Cai F, Shen P (2004) Acid resistance of enamel subsurface lesions remineralized by a sugar free chewing gum containing casein phosphopeptideamorphous calcium phosphate. Caries Res 38: 551-56.
84. Cai F, Shen P, Morgan MV, Reynolds EC (2003) Remineralization of enamel subsurface lesions in situ by sugar-free lozenges containing casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate. Aust Dent J 48: 240-243.